Monday, August 17, 2009

Gratitude

I am sitting at school (taking a break from bulletin board decor) to touch on this past weekend.

What an amazing, crazy time!
My mom and Tia (aunt) came to visit me in Savannah and helping me with my room. My mother is an organizational maven, not to mention mother-of-four, and had some great ideas for storage space, both at school and in my new teeeeny apartment. She was sorting papers, measuring walls, covering bookshelves with paper, stuffing things in new drawers, and the place looks great! It was so exciting to see her in action, to have her join me in this exciting process, and to introduce her to my coworkers. At one point, the room was looking really rough, and the before and after is AMAZING. I will be posting pictures once I am a bit more settled - my time is precious at this point. My mom also brought down several games, books, and other goodies from my childhood that I am excited to share with my students:) It not only feels good to have an organized, well-oiled classroom, but I know it will be a great feeling to go home to a clean, decorated living room and bedroom.

My Aunt has taught second grade forever, and works in a bilingual setting in Miami Florida. She was a wealth of knowledge - as far as which walls should have which posters, where to hang the pledge of allegiance, how she organizes and keeps grades, etc. She is so sweet to have taken time off from her busy summer, moving my grandmother from Texas to Florida, and from her last days off before her year gets rolling to come down here and help a rookie out. We ended up getting to show her a bit of Savannah - antique shopping, bakery visits, Broughton Street, dinners out, and lots of RAIN! I am excited to pick a time and have her come back!

It is so hard living far away from my family and I am so grateful to them both. They are strong, amazing, brilliant women who have taught ME so much!

Tomorrow is another open day for working (and getting a haircut?) and then WEDNESDAY is the big day.
Of course, I am on a rollercoaster of a lifetime. One minute I feel cool, calm and collected, and the next I'm having a panic attack about where to hang the hall passes near the door, or stressing out over having forgotten something. The to-do list goes on and on!

Off to the teacher store, then BACK here to keep working.

Do you ever wish you had a little elf (or a personal assistant) who could work while you sleep?

1 comment:

  1. Ana, I am touched and will that and even more for any of my sobrinos and sobrinas......

    ReplyDelete